Thursday 10 March 2011

Festival

Something I forgot to mention previously.  The day before I left for my trek there was a Hindu festival, I have no idea of its name.  It seemed to involve children holding a silver tray on which was placed red rice and pictures of deities singing in shop doorways and demanding money, there were also children pulling ropes across roads and asking for a toll.

As I was leaving one shop a group of kids started singing at the door tray in hand.  As I walked past a young girl of no more than ten turns to me and says in an abrubt voice "You! Give me money!"  She did this with so much gusto I very nearly did.

There are not as many people directly begging on the streets as I thought there might be.  I had only one previous encounter when a small boy with a bag of rubbish slung over his shoulder grabbed my elbow and kept asking for money for food.  It is not good practice to give directly to beggars and I plan on donating some money to charities that help street kids before I leave. I ended loosing the boy in the crowd, I felt awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment