Tuesday 1 March 2011

Things I Am Trying To Get Used To

1. Spitting - Everyone does it.  Men, women, children even monkeys.  It is not so much the act of gobbing more the noises people make beforehand.  It's gross!

2. The Roads - There are no rules here and the traffic very rarely stops.  This would be less of a problem if there were pavements but there are very few.  I am getting fairly used to this now though and I am finding the Aikido principles of 'performing with confidence' and 'knowing your partners mind' are extremely handy when out and about on the roads.

3. Pollution - It is pretty bad also there is dust everywhere and I am developing a cough.  Because of this I have started wearing a mask if I am going to be out for a whole day.  I look pretty bad ass in it.  A lot of folk wear them so I don't feel very self conscious when I have it on.

4. Dogs - Strays are everywhere.  They all look fairly well fed and none of them have bothered me.  You mostly see them lying on the street during the day and hear them barking in the evening.  The first time I saw one I thought it was dead until its foot twitched and its eyes blinked. Everyone in Kathmandu lets sleeping dogs lie.

5. Meat - Raw on a table out on a hot and dusty street.  It absolutely reeks and its organs as well as joints.  I think I may well go veg for this trip.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, the food sounds interesting! Can't imagine why you want to go veggie. Hope you find a fabulous place that becomes a favourite (& not pizza!).

    I also hate the huurrrrcchhht sound that comes before the spitting.....yuck, bad manners!

    ReplyDelete