Thursday 10 March 2011

Sunny, Honey, Money.

During my briefing I was given a small shopping list of items I would need for my trek to the Himalaya's.  Walking shoes, a water bottle, iodine tablets and iodine neutralizing tablets, sun hat, sun block and some snacks.  I hit the streets in search of bargains.  I needed to take a chunk of money out as there are no ATM's in the mountains and besides I needed cash to the aforementioned items.  The first hole in the wall (More accurately over here small cupboard) I went to gave me no money and a message popped up on the screen 'Please contact your branch'.  #*!!!.  I headed to the nearest internet cafe to obtain the the correct phone number for my bank.  Once obtained I hunted down a shop were I could make cheap international calls.  After going the necessary automated phone responses I c\got to speak to a human who told me that no block had been put on my card and I should try using a different ATM.  I did this and everything was fine, what a faff!

Once I had haggled my way to some bargains (I think they were bargains, certainly cheaper than the original price, but I'm still not sure how much I should be paying and how much I am being told things cost.) I headed back to my room to pack, sort out storage and settle the bill for my first few days.  It turns out my room is cheaper than expected which is nice.

I met Lee-Ann for dinner at a fancy Italian place called Dolce Vita.  Fancy layout, great food and disinterested staff, it was almost like being back home.  My bus leaves tomorrow at 6:30.  An eight hour trip to Syabrubensi awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment