Tuesday 1 March 2011

Motorcycle Madness

So this morning my guide met me at the hotel as we were going to get the permit I need to go trekking.  It is a few km he says, so we go on bike.  On I hop, mask on no helmet.  At first it was quite surreal like a computer game almost but I settled into it and it was clear he knew what he was doing so I felt perfectly safe.

We drove past a massive military display and I am glad we did as it gave me less of a jolt when massive explosions started to echo around the streets.  People were out in their thousands to watch; lining the pavements and fences to see their army at work. We stopped briefly and saw some choppers flying around and smoke grenades being chucked.  The first port of call was closed so we had to go to another office more bike riding.  I was enjoying it though.

I am off to my briefing now.  I am not sure if I will post again before my trek so there wont be any new posts until March 10th.  That said if I have time I will try to upload some photo's later today.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying reading your blog & look forward to seeing the photos when you get back.

    Have a great time on the trek. I'm sure it will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated to read all about this crowded, colourful city - so very different to the UK! The temples sound amazing and what a lot you've seen already. I hope the trek goes really well - and that you don't get blisters with those new shoes! I look forward to hearing more when you return to Kathmandu. Much love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will probably miss you till after your trek, but hope it goes well and I'm sure it will be fantastic - views and everything else besides. I'm really enjoying reading your blog, you write really well and with lots of colour and character and really bring the place alive. It must be extraordinary - exciting, maybe sometimes unsettling, always surprising! and obviously often very beautiful. A different world...

    Take care of yourself xx

    ReplyDelete