Saturday 12 March 2011

In The City

Turns out it doesn't matter what is on the telly if there is no power, I think the lights run off of a generator but the mains electric does not.  I decide to start a new book instead 'The Wind Up Bird Chronical' by Murakami so far it is excellent.

I don't do very much today, I get up early and have a breakfast of omelet and toast before heading to the internet cafe to catch up on this here blog and check me emails.  I have an email from UEL offering me an interview for a PGCE place on the 11th which is very exciting despite me being woefully unprepared for it.  I will have to hit the books when I get home.

Afterwards I decide to head back to Durbar Square top take some decent photo's and check out the museum that was closed last time I was there.  The museum itself is interesting to say the least.  Cameras are not allowed and you have to put your bag and camera in a locker before they will let you into the building.  The exhibits like a lot of things in Kathmandu are old and dusty.  They are also very dimly lit making it difficult to read any information which is mostly a laminated piece of paper glued to the wall, other than this there are brass plack's which are all nearly impossible to read in the poor light.

The views from the tower are fantastic though and the endless photographs and paintings of later day King's are in places hilarious.  There is also a lot of taxidermy, one unintentionally funny photograph shows a king sitting rather awkwardly on a massive dead rhino holding a rifle, the caption near the set of photo's claiming he was a big lover of nature.

Another small room has a plack above the entrance that simply reads 'Death Room'.  Inside is a long wooden coffin and around the walls are pictures of various coffins in transit.  I find no explanation for the coffin or the photographs.

After a while the endless parade of photographs, old uniforms and personal objects take their toll and I decide to head back to Jyatha for lunch.  I do a bit of shopping afterwards and have a nap before heading to Kilroy's for supper.  Kilroy's is a very fancy place, despite this my chair breaks and they bring me a black coffee instead of tea.  The food on the other hand is amazing,  I have a chicken balti with rice and a garlic naan. The bill comes to more than I would normally spend in a day on food.  It is still dirt cheap compared with back home though and treating myself once in a while wont hurt.

1 comment: